This build will focus on using pets and minions as the primary damage source. Thus, it will highly depend on the Construction skills of the Engineer. Stats doesn't really affect pets and minions, so attribute points are used for survival purposes instead.
If you want your Engineer to summon or construct lots of machine bots to deal massive damages to your enemies while keeping your guard up to avoid deadly attacks, then this build is for you!
◄Back to Torchlight II FAQ, Tips, Tricks and Strategy Guides List
- Character Attributes and Equipment Stats -
- If you want to play this build in Elite Mode, I recommend that you collect some items first,
like the "The Eye of Grell" socketables to survive upcoming battles. To learn how, click here.
- I would like to Recommend getting some
Engineer's Charge Bar
- If a Charges are available, certain skills will consume a charge to significantly increase
power. Some skills consume all available charges.
Base Attributes at Level 100 (Bonuses are not included)
- Strength: 15
- Dexterity: 100 = 18% Dodge
- Focus: 5
- Vitality: 415 = +103.8% Armor Bonus and +48.6% Block Chance.
- (Dexterity: 4 and Vitality: 1) until Dexterity hits 50.
- Next, (Dexterity: 1 and Vitality: 4) until Dexterity hits 100 then put all Attribute Points
to Vitality till Level 100.
Main Equipment Stats (Enchants, Socketables and Stat Bonuses to Find)
If you are not playing Elite/HC, focus on your Health and damage output.
- +? Health
- +?% pet and minion Damage
- All damage taken is reduced by ?%
- ?.? Mana recovery per second (void ember socketables are good for early to mid game)
Additional Equipment Stats
- Physical/Elemental Armors
- ?% chance to reflect missiles at ?% weapon DPS
- +?% pet and minion Armor
- +?% pet and minion Speed
- +?% pet and minion Health
- Charge Rate increased by ?%
- Weapons, Armors and Socketable Items -
Note: I will not mention all specific items to get, to let you enjoy the game. The game is very
beatable even if you are only using some alternatives to those "Best" items per slot. Hunt monsters, open chests or gamble to get the items that you need. Good Luck!
1-Hand Melee/Range Weapons
- Since you have some Dexterity early game, this will help you equip high leveled
pistols, shotgonnes or claws to boost you until level 14. Get the "Spider Mines" skill then focus now on using any 1-Hand weapon with the bonuses above. Note: Onslaught skill requires a melee weapon to use, so try to stick with melee weapons (your choice).
- The Lvl 42 "Iron Sword" (Requires Lvl 48) is an ideal weapon for this build. This
is a rare weapon that can only be obtained from the elusive "Notch's Mine". To learn more on how to get this weapon, refer here: How to Get the Iron Sword from the Notch's Mine
- Preferably with very high ?% chance to Block or with 30%+ chance to reflect
missiles at ?% weapon DPS.
- The Lvl 23 "Roundhaven" Shield has 29% chance to Block. Use this till you get
a Reflect Shield at mid levels.
- Example Reflect Shield: The Lvl 65 "Deflecting Scalloped Shield" has a bonus of:
33% chance to reflect missiles at 56% weapon DPS. Note: Rare (blue) items generates random bonuses and number of slots.
All 10 Armors/Trinkets
- At early game, find items that will increase your Mana Regen and Health.
- Refer to the Main or Additional Equipment Stats above for more stats to find.
- Also check all Rare (blue) items with high pet bonuses from drops or shops. Preferably
with at least +25% pet and minion Damage with at least 1 slot. Carry your non-slotted items with you in case you encounter an NPC that gives sockets to items!
Notable Armor Sets
- The Lvl 60/65 "Obscure Tools" Set is pretty good for this build. Get the Helm,
Shoulder Armor, Belt
- The Lvl 99 "Mondon's Vestment" Set doesn't really enhance this build but the Belt gives your pet and minions +35% Armor and Damage!.
Notable Socketable Items
Save all socketables that are similar to the stat bonuses below. They are also good.
- This socketables will be your main priority items to get/farm in the game. Balance your
Health or Survival, Pet Minion Damages and Mana Recovery for best results!
- Lvl 82 "Skull of Umbarmun"
- +35% pet and minion Damage (Armor/Trinkets)
- Lvl 73 "Skull of Riechliu"
- +1540 Health (Armor/Trinkets)
- Lvl 55 "Skull of Limoany"
- All damage taken is reduced by 5% (Armor/Trinkets)
- Lvl 88 "Skull of Whorlbarb" or Lvl 79 "Skull of Trenkay"
- 4.7 or 4.4 Mana recovery per second (Armor/Trinkets)
- Lvl 99 "Zardon's Mighty Skull"
- +25% chance to reflect missiles at 50% weapon DPS (Armor/Trinkets)
Equippable Spells/Tomes (Hero)
Note: Higher Rank/Level gives better output and duration.
- Tome: Blocking
- Tome: Concentration
- Tome: Animal Handling
- Any Spell/Tome that you like
Equippable Spells/Tomes (Pet)
- Spell: Summon Skeleton
- Spell: Summon Archers
- Any Summons or Spells/Tomes that you like.
- Pet Minion Summoner - Main Skill Build -
There are so many skills that you can choose from but it is best to choose or prioritize
what you really need for your build. Other unmentioned skills below are also good but they are much more suitable for other Engineer builds. Feel free to use other skills that you think is best.
- You might also need to repeat completed maps to level up and learn more skills before
taking on bosses. To learn an effective way, click here.
- After reaching Estherian Enclave, talk to Thaymor to respec or remove your
"Flame Hammer" skill to gain a free skill point.
- A must have skill, this will save lots of Gold for better use. Gives bonuses to All
Armor and will regenerate Mana as well. Do not place this in your active skill keys because it doesn't have any duration, summon only after entering portals. Place on other shortcut keys.
- Do not rush to tier I early game, get it once you have Spider Mines.
Bulwark (Passive) - Get 15/15
- Gives Physical Armor and Physical Damage Reduction.
- Great passive skill to boost you up early game.
Forcefield (Active) - Get 15/15
- This skill will greatly enhance your survival capabilities! Just pay attention to it's
duration timer to keep this up all the time. Instantly recast this when it's not active. It is also not necessary to max out your Charge bar before using this, fire away when needed.
- You'll get 60k+ of All Damage Absorption for 30 seconds if you have a full Charge
bar and a 15/15 Forcefield! Use the Dynamo Field to instantly recharge your Charge bar again!
Spider Mines (Active) - Get 15/15
- After getting this, things will become easier! Use this skill as your main attack skill.
- Note: You can only summon up to 9 Spider Mines at a time. Combo with Tremor.
Charge Domination (Passive) - Get 1/15
- A 1 point wonder. Even at 3% chance, this skill will still proc unexpectedly!
- This is not really a must skill and it will not consider pet or minion kills to proc, I only
added this because of the extra 1 point skill.
Onslaught (Active) - Get 1/15
- Your escape Mechanism. Note: this will require a melee weapon to be able to use.
Gun Bot (Active) - Get 15/15
- This bot can really give some punch! At tier 2, it's attacks will pierce enemies, thus
increasing it's damage potential to it's limits! Combo with Tremor.
- Alternately summon this with your Sledgebot to maintain your damage output.
Dynamo Field (Active) - Get 10/15
- At early game, get 4/15 then stop. Reach 5~6/15 if your Mana can handle it.
Slowly get 10/15 at mid to higher levels.
- You don't need to get up close to use this, check your current range by using the
practice dummy. Only use this for generating Charge for your Forcefield.
Tremor (Active) - Get 15/15
- This skill will be your main debuff skill to help your pets/bots deal more damages!
- The cooldown is somewhat long but it's worth it. Great against bosses.
Sledgebot (Active) - Get 15/15
- Another great machine bot to help you. Max it!
- Alternately summon this with your Gun Bot to maintain your damage output.
Immobilization Copter (Active) - Get 15/15
- Reduces your enemies' overall Speed, thus reducing their damage output.
- Do not place this in your active skill keys because it doesn't have any duration,
summon only after entering portals. Place on other shortcut keys.
- Total Skill Points Used: 132
- Total Unused Skill Points: 0
- If you have extra skill points, either upgrade the skills you currently have or save them for
later use (after reaching the next required Lvl of skills).
Note: You might need to update your Torchlight 2 to it's latest version or patch to enjoy this
guide. Some skill description and game features are different compared to the original version. If you like this PC game, please support the software developers by purchasing the game!
Related Torchlight II Tips & Guides:
Torchlight II: Tips, Tricks, Game Help and Info
Torchlight II: Engineer - Wildfire Engineer Stats and Skill Build
Torchlight II: How to Get the Iron Sword from the Notch's Mine