Here's a guide on how Weapon Speed and Speed Buffs affects your character preference and playing style, in the action RPG mobile game - SAO: MD.
Dagger and Rapier Wielders Gets More Speed Perks!- This is the main reason why a lot of players prefer using Dagger or Rapier wielders (Swords are acceptable too) over Dual Blades and Mace as their melee core unit.
Speed Perk #1: Added DPS- As the battle goes on, Attack Speed can help you build up Combo Hits faster, which will give your character +5% damage for very 10 Hits Combo.
- Even better if your unit's SS3 can do around 10 hits under 3 or 4 seconds.
- Note: Max Combo bonus is currently capped at 200%.
Speed Perk #2: MP Gain- MP gain doesn't matter much if you can take down bosses around 3 SS3s depending on the character you are using, and around 5 SS3s if you are using 2 characters and so on.
- MP gain starts to matter, once your character/s runs out of mana and the battle is still going on. This is where Dagger, Lancer and Rapier wielders starts to shine too because they can easily re-gain mana during battle and fire more SS3s (also check attack cancel below).
Speed Perk #3: Attack Cancel + Parry or Dodge- Attack Cancel is a trick where you can sink in some hits to the enemy then using "Block" to cancel the attack animation (best done right before the enemy starts to attack).
- This will allow you to quickly switch from offense to defense (Dodge or Parry), and to increase or maintain combo counts.
- This trick is doable to all types of melee weapons, but they require different playing styles or timing. Daggers, Lances and Rapiers are the best because it's easier, plus the success chance of sinking in hits for MP gain is a lot better!
Speed Perk #5: Movement Speed + Dodge- There are some situations where you need to dodge attacks that can't be parried, and success chances are based on your character's movement speed. Daggers and Rapiers can do this better and can even sink in 1 or 2 hits before they can get out of the boss's wide AoE attack range.
Speed Perk #5: Movement Speed + Parry- Have you encountered enemy bosses where you need to run fast just to parry it's first attack? or maybe after using a SS3, the boss slides back then throws a long range attack, that you can still parry but would require you to get close just to sink in another attack or SS3?
- Yeah, the success chance of sinking in attacks are way better for Dagger and Rapier wielders, Lancers and Swords are still possible, but Dual Blades and Maces just won't make it most of the time due to their low movement speed. Yes of course they can sink in their attacks too ("hehe") but it will no longer stagger the boss making them vulnerable to counter attacks.
- This is very important especially for ranking events, to cut more time.
So Dual Blades and Mace Wielders Are Worthless?
Multiplayer and Story/Floor Clearing Event Modes- Not really, like I said under "Speed Perk #2: MP Gain" above, Damage Output can override MP gain or even all Speed Perks, if the target boss can be taken down within few SS3s (especially Multiplayer).
Ranking Events- For ranking events, the current meta is "faster completion with minimum damage as possible" so Maces and Dual Blades are in a disadvantage when used as solo. Maces usually have high damage output and short attack animations so they can still be great if used as support nukers/burst damagers.
- Dual Blades on the other hand is kinda unreliable at the moment because of their SS3's long attack animation. Yup, burst damage is only good if it's under 3 seconds (depends per character though), and you know it's bad if it's more than 3 or 4 seconds).
Using Team Speed+ Buffs- This is one possible solution, but I still doubt it though, unless it's Speed Buff and duration is a lot higher...also considering switch time and cast time when it comes to ranking events.
Your Only Hope: New Skill Slots!- Yup, Skill Slots can still make them stronger, like maybe a huge buff on their damage output and/or Speed. A Dual Blade wielder that attacks like a Rapier or close would be interesting!
How About Rods, Bows and Gun Wielders?- These ranged units will get a different approach when it comes to speed, and since they can't parry attacks.
- Requires player skill if played solo, but mostly used as Full Support, or Support Nukers/Burst damages.
Related Sword Art Online: MD Tips & Guides:
- Sword Art Online: MD - Best 4-Star Characters and Tier List
- Sword Art Online: MD - Controls, Elements and Weapon Types
- Sword Art Online: MD - How To Find and Calculate MP Gain