Here's a quick FAQ, Tips, and Re-roll Guide for the action RPG mobile game Sword Art Online: Memory Defrag, now available to download from the App Store and Google Play!
Free Event Based Characters [Pre-Registration Event]
- 4* Kirito [Fairy Dance]
- 4* Asuna [Nightwear]
- Obtained via Gift Box after completing Chapter 2-1.
- If you can still get these free 4* characters, go and edit your party and use Asuna [Nightwear], Kirito, then any 3* character you have.
- Replace Kirito with Kirito [Fairy Dance] once you max out Kirito and have at least 37 Party Cost.
- Note: You can only upgrade the attributes of Kirito [Fairy Dance] via limited events.
- Note: Raising 1* Kirito's Lvl to max (Lvl 50) will earn you 5x Memory Diamonds via Missions.
- Re-rolling is optional, but I would suggest that you re-roll and at least get a 3* character that can wield a Gun, Rod, or Mace/Club from the free Scout. Someone that can Heal your team ain't bad too.
- 1* Kirito
- 3* Random character from the "Free Scout".
- Earn your first 250 Memory Diamonds and try your luck!
- Refer here for notable 3-Star characters and team: Best and Useful 3 Star Characters for F2P
- Refer here to get an idea which 4* characters are highly recommended (also for hard re-rollers).
- Best 4-Star Characters and Tier List
How To Obtain Free 4*Characters From Limited Events
- Obtain a 3* or 4* character, and max him or her out.
- Complete the specified Quest to obtain the featured 4* Character. Make sure to check the Event Notice or the Missions Tab for the specific "quest title" that you need to complete (usually Quest Story 10). Some events will also require your to achieve a number of Event Points.
- Create or join Co-Op Battles if needed, to makes things easier. Best if you have a strong friend or ally that can Heal. For all-out offensive teams, try to rush, create lots of combos and take down the enemy (with skills) as often as possible!
- If your character dies, do not "Give Up" or "Revive", just wait and watch, because your party might still win and you'll still get those completion rewards from the missions tab!
- Optional: If you want to help though, then go ahead and Revive, but only if you think your party can win.
Quick Info on 4* Characters
- They have higher overall Stats, Max Lvl, number of Battle Skills (bonus stats +%) and more.
- This is an optional method, but still recommended especially for F2P players.
Earn 25 or 50 Memory Diamonds
- Get your free Memory Diamonds from the Daily Bonus and Special Bonus.
- Go and follow the Story-line Quests until around Chapter 2-2, continue if you need more.
- Also complete the Daily Missions and other easy tasks from the Missions Tab.
- Claim them all from your Gift Box.
- Free random 3* character, with 4% chance to draw a 4* character.
25 Memory Diamond Scout
- 4% chance to draw a 4* character, scout once or twice.
- In case you just want to settle on a 3* character to fill up your team, then just scout once or go twice.
- Refer here for notable 3-Star characters: Best and Useful 3 Star Characters for F2P
- Refer here for recommended 4* characters: Best 4-Star Characters and Tier List
How To Re-Roll
- Android: Just go to "App Settings" and select "Clear Data" under your SAO MD app.
- Only follow the usual method of re-rolling above, any other method that will allow you to skip any part of the tutorial in-game will get your account banned after a few days!
Alternative Way [250 Diamonds and 11x Scout Pull]
- You can also earn 250 Memory Diamonds and pull the 11x Scout option. This will gonna take a while but the chances of getting 4* is also a little bit higher, since you do multi pulls.
- If you want to try this method, I suggest that aim for at least 1 A rank character and any other 4* character.
Data Transfer (Saving Account)
- If you want to save your current account and continue re-rolling using a new account, then you need to use the "Data Transfer" option.
- This will also allow you to transfer game data to a different device. Note though that when transferring data to a different OS, Memory Diamonds will be lost.
Steps for Transferring Data:
- Go to "Other" on the menu and select "Data Transfer".
- Take note of your data transfer ID and then set a password (make a screenshot too).
- On your device (or other device), select "Support" once the Title screen show up, then proceed to Data Transfer to restore your saved account.
- You cannot transfer data between different regions!
- So if you are playing under NA version, you can't transfer your data to EU or ASIA versions.
- If you are having error while transferring data, even if your codes and password are correct, then this might be the problem, download and try other versions until you are able to log-in and play.
Limited Events (Extra Quests)
- Watch out for these limited events (like Mega-Boss Takedown events) where you can get new characters, equipment, and other freebies!
- The more difficult the quest you challenge, the rarer the items you can get.
- Choose a high Lvl character to assist you on your next battle. Select the "Back" option then re-enter to refresh the list.
- Note: If you select "Retry" after a stage completion, you'll still be able to use that same Supporter again and again, but if you end it, you'll need to choose another Support for the next battle.
Follow The Player You Played With
- If you choose to Follow a player, he or she will appear under your Support list.
- Follow high Lvl players to make things easier (check their stats too).
Multi-Player or Co-op Mode
- You need at least 1 player ally to start a Co-op match.
- When joining a Co-op match, hit "Ready" to ready up your character.
First Matching Bonus!
- Note: The first Matching Bonus is limited to the first 20 players you play with.
Daily Quests (Extra Quests)
- Here you can get materials that can be used to Unlock Attributes and at the Blacksmith!
- The more difficult the quest you challenge, the rarer the materials you can get.
- Note: Day is based from the game's server time:
- Europe = UTC; US = PST; Asia/Pacific = JST.
Urgent Quests (Extra Quests)
- Urgent Quests appear out of the blue and are available for only a short period of time.
- One of the best ways to get fast EXP for your characters!
- NA/EU Server: Daily Schedule: [3:00-4:00 (UTC)]; [12:00-13:00 (UTC)]; [20:00-21:00 (UTC)]
- Asia Server: Daily Schedule: [4:00-5:00 (GM+8)]; [11:00-12:00 (GM+8)]; [20:00-21:00 (GM+8)]
- The more difficult the quest you challenge, the higher the EXP you can get.
As much as possible, heavily invest your resources on your 4* characters. 3* characters are ok, but only if the items required to upgrade them is easy for you to farm.
Rarity and Party Cost
- Characters with higher rarity cost more to put in your party, but as your rank goes up, so does your team cost limit!
Leveling Up Characters
- Simply add them to your party to gain EXP. Note that all characters in your party will get 100% EXP each.
- Enhance characters using EXP Potions. Check "Urgent Quests" section above for more info on how to farm EXP potions and gain fast EXP.
Unlock More Attributes
- Farm, Decryption Keys, Shards and Crystals to upgrade your character's attributes.
Shards and Crystals
- Lvl 1 to 10: Shards Only
- Lvl 20 to 30: Shards and Crystals
- Lvl 40+: Shards, Crystals and Holy Crystals
- Note: Some characters like Kirito [Fairy Dance] will require a different set of Crystals, obtainable only from limited event quests.
Recommended Farming Locations:
- Go Here: Shards, Crystals and Holy Crystals Farming Locations
- Used to unlock attribute enhancements, making more enhancement possible.
Recommended Farming Locations:
- Go Here: Decryption Keys Drops and Farming Locations
Unlock More Sword Skills
- 3* and 4* Characters can get their 3rd Sword Skill, once they reach Lvl 50. Unlock and activate the Lvl 50 SkillLv:+1 by following the Critical path then to the Skill path.
Limit Break Characters!
- In the Attribute Matrix, Hacking Crystals can be used to perform Limit Breaks. Doing so will raise the upper limit of a character's level, allowing for more ability enhancements.
- After performing a Limit Hack, you can choose to increase Attack, HP/Defense, or MP.
- You can change the stat whenever you like, but you need to obtain the requirements again.
- Highly recommended that you only do this to your core 4* characters, to increase their Max Lvl to up to Lvl 100.
- Required items for Limit Breaking your characters. When scouting characters, if one you already own appears, you can receive Hacking Crystals instead. The number of crystals received depends on the rarity of the character.
- 2* Characters = x1
- 3* Characters = x2
- 4* Characters = x50
- More info about Limit Breaks can be found here: SAO: MD - Limit Breaking and Which Stats to Choose.
Equip Weapons, Armors, and Accessories
Equipment From Gacha (Scout)
- Will naturally get a higher max stats than farmable ones. Example: A 3* Gacha weapon is still better than a 4* farmable weapon.
Where To Farm Free Weapons, Armors, and Accessories?
- As your progress through the story line quests, you'll eventually encounter stages where you can randomly get free equipment from treasure chests. "Tap and Hold" when browsing Chapters and Stages to check.
- Excellent Source: Limited Time Event Quests (Extra Quests). Check the featured event if you can farm some free 4* equipment for your characters. This is your best choice for now, until you can get a better one from the Gacha Scouts.
- Note: The faster you complete a quest, the higher your completion rank will be, allowing you to get your hands on higher-ranked bonuses!
- Once your inventory can't handle your items, just sell your gears that can only reach 1* or 2* when maxed. Gears that can be maxed to 3* are OK, but sell what you don't really need.
- Keep all farmable 4* gears, but sell those extras ([R2] versions) that you no longer need.
- Keep all Gacha gears that can reach 3*, 4* or 5*.
- If you need more space, upgrade your inventory using Memory Diamonds.
- Use the Gift Box as storage too (do not claim items), but watch out for the expiry dates.
- You can increase a character's stats by equipping armor and weapons of the character's own element. The elemental bonus works for all equipment across all elements (Fire, Water, Earth, Wind, Holy and Dark) and also non-elemental equipment.
- Some equipment carry battle skills, which automatically activate in battle, resulting in certain effects, for example, an attribute boost.
Upgrade and Evolve Your Equipment
- You can use Col and materials to upgrade equipment and increase it's stats.
- As much as possible, only upgrade gears that can be evolved up to 3* or 4*.
- Equipment that has been upgraded to it's maximum level can be evolved at a smithy by using Col and either equipment with the same name or evolution ingots. Evolving equipment will reset their Lvl, but will increase it's rarity, stats, max level, and more.
Evolve 1* Gear [R1]
- Max Lvl 10; Requires 1 Copy (same name) regardless of Lvl.
Evolve 2* Gear [R2]
- Max Lvl 20; Requires 2 Copies (same name) regardless of Lvl.
Evolve 3* Gear [R3]
- Max Lvl 30; Requires 3 Copies (same name) regardless of Lvl.
Evolve 4* Gear [R4]
- Max Lvl 40; Requires 4 Copies (same name) regardless of Lvl.
- So if for example you have a 2* Coat of Midnight [R2] gear that can be evolved to 4* [R4], this time you actually need 11 more pieces of 2* Coat of Midnight [R2] in order to evolve it to 4* Coat of Midnight [R4].
Check Our Separate Guide Here:
- Sword Art Online: MD - Controls, Elements and Weapon Types
Related Sword Art Online: MD Tips & Guides:
- Sword Art Online: MD - Best and Useful 3 Star Characters for F2P
- Sword Art Online: MD - Best 4-Star Characters and Tier List
- Sword Art Online: MD - Shards, Crystals and Holy Crystals Farming Locations